The Community Library was founded in 1921 after Rev. Dr. John Van Schaik Jr. gathered interested neighbors at the Union Street School in Cobleskill, NY. When the doors opened, 1,200 items were made available to members after paying a $1 fee. Taxpayer support in our chartered service area now funds the majority of the operating budget and we serve the entire community. Roughly 30,000 items make up today’s borrowing, downloading, and study collections which include books, magazines, videos, music, software, databases, unique local historical items and more.
- Shared borrowing of materials with 50 public libraries in eight counties.
- Public computers and always-on Wi-Fi for personal devices.
- We’re ready to help you find your next great read, get started on research, find information online or use new technology.
- Regular literary programming including Story Hour for young learners and readers and reading discussion groups.
- Lots of great cultural and recreational programming throughout the year.